Skip to Content / Sautez au contenu Skip to Access keys / Sautez au Touches d´accès
OR   Go directly to most popular site features

What We Do: Alcohol

Licence Endorsements

"Endorsements are additions to the liquor sales licence. Endorsements allow liquor sales licensees to sell and serve alcohol under specific conditions"

The Liquor Licence Act allows for endorsements to a liquor sales licence that alters the normal circumstances under which beverage alcohol may be sold and served.

Endorsements are additions to the liquor sales licence and a separate application form must be completed. Each type of endorsement is subject to specific regulations and conditions. Application may be made at any time and for more than one endorsement but endorsements are only valid when combined with an active liquor sales licence.

Note: Licensing fees are applicable to Golf Course Endorsements only.

The AGCO issues seven (7) types of endorsements, six of which allow liquor sales licensees to sell and serve alcohol under specific conditions:

Brew Pub Endorsement

A brew pub endorsement permits the sale and service of beer manufactured by the licensee on the licensed premises, for consumption on the premises to which the licence applies.

Catering Endorsement

A catering endorsement permits the sale and service of beverage alcohol to an event that is in an unlicensed area other than a licensed establishment. The catered event must be sponsored by someone other than the licence-holder, must have light meals available, and the event cannot be more than ten (10) days.

For additional information on catering endorsements, please see our catering endorsement catering endorsement page.

Mini-Bar Endorsement

A mini-bar endorsement permits the sale of beverage alcohol from a mini-bar dispenser in a room rented by guests in a hotel or motel which has licensed premises.

Room Service Endorsement

A room service endorsement permits the sale and service of beverage alcohol to persons registered as guests in a facility that rents overnight accommodation such as a hotel or motel provided the facility has a liquor sales licence.

Golf Course Endorsement

A golf course endorsement permits the sale and service of beverage alcohol to golfers for consumption on the playing area of the golf course. Alcoholic beverages may be served from mobile vending carts that must be operated by an employee who is 18 years of age or over. Non-alcoholic beverages must also be available. Please see   Licensed Areas on Golf Courses for further information.

Wine Pub Endorsement

A wine pub endorsement permits the sale and service of wine manufactured by the licensee on the licensed premises for sale and consumption to patrons on the licensed premises.

Bring Your Own Wine (BYOW) Endorsement

A bring-your-own wine endorsement authorizes the holder of a liquor sales licence for a restaurant or for a banquet room located in a hotel or motel to permit patrons to bring unopened bottles of commercially made wine into the restaurant or banquet room to which the licence applies, for their own consumption. A restaurant employee must open the wine, as would be the case if the patron had purchased the wine from the establishment. The wine must have its manufacturer´s seal intact when presented to the restaurant employee for opening.

This endorsement is only available to restaurants and banquet rooms as set out in the regulations:

  • "banquet room" means either a self-contained premises or a specific area within a licensed premises whose primary use is for private social functions booked in advance. Only banquet rooms located in a hotel or motel are eligible for a BYOW endorsement.
  • "restaurant" means a premises or portion of a premises to which a liquor licence applies that is primarily used for the sale and service of meals for consumption by patrons seated at tables but does not include,
  1. banquet room;
  2. premises where liquor is served under a caterer´s endorsement,
  3. premises located on the property of a post-secondary educational institution, or
  4. premises at which entertainment designed to appeal to erotic or sexual appetites or inclinations, as set out in section 23 of Ontario Regulation 719/90, is provided.

A Caterer´s endorsement may not be used in conjunction with a BYOW endorsement.

Note: The posting of a sign advising the public that your establishment offers BYOW is voluntary. Should a licensee wish to post a sign, click on the link below for suggested signage.

Renewing an Endorsement

Endorsements are renewed at the time the establishment's Liquor Sales Licence is renewed.

Application Process

PDF Instructions

New and updated PDF forms on this site can be filled-in and saved locally to your PC. This updated feature preserves all of the information you have filled in, however, version 6.05 or later of Adobe Reader® is required.  Download Adobe Acrobat Reader®


Application Forms and Guides

Important Application Reminders

  • For PDF forms completed online or offline, please ensure ALL the input information has printed out on your application.
  • For PDF forms filled-in by hand, please ensure you PRINT legibly in ink.
  • Please ensure ALL required questions are completed. Incomplete, improperly completed or unsigned applications will be returned to applicant.
  • Do not email application forms. Mail application(s) along with ALL supporting documents to:

    Alcohol and Gaming Commission
    Licensing and Registration
    90 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 200
    Toronto, Ontario M2N 0A4

Please read the "Instructions" portion of the application(s) for supporting document requirements.