A break open ticket is a device made of cardboard and which has perforated cover window tabs behind which are symbols revealed by tearing open the cover tab. The winning combination of symbols is specified on the back of the ticket. Break open tickets are also known as "nevada tickets" or "pull tabs".
Only the Registrar of Alcohol and Gaming may issue a licence to an eligible charitable or religious organization for the following:
- Break open ticket lotteries where the licensed organization has a provincial mandate: this type of licence authorizes the sale of break open tickets from one (1) location in each municipality across the province. Contact the AGCO for further information and application forms;
- Break open ticket lotteries conducted in an unorganized territory;
- Break open ticket lotteries conducted on Federal land such as Canadian Forces Bases;
- Licences issued pursuant to section 207 (1)(c) (lottery schemes to be conducted at a Fair or Exhibition); and
- Break open ticket lotteries where the event is to be conducted in conjunction with another licensed lottery event.
A municipality may issue a licence to eligible local charitable or religious organizations where the break open tickets are not to be sold in conjunction with another gaming event.
If you are applying for a municipal licence, contact the local municipality where you intend to hold the event for more detailed information on the application process, licensing fees and required attachments.
New and updated PDF forms on this site can be filled-in and saved locally to your PC. This updated feature preserves all of the information you have filled in, however, version 6.05 or later of Adobe Reader® is required. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader®
Required attachments to applications:
The licensee must conduct and manage the event in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of the licence.
Application Forms, Reports and Terms and Conditions
Important Application Reminders
- For PDF forms completed online or offline, please ensure ALL the input information has printed out on your application.
- For PDF forms filled-in by hand, please ensure you PRINT legibly in ink.
- Please ensure ALL required questions are completed. Incomplete, improperly completed or unsigned applications will be returned to applicant.
- Do not email application forms. Mail application(s) along with ALL supporting documents to:
Alcohol and Gaming Commission
Licensing and Registration
90 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 200
Toronto, Ontario M2N 0A4
Please read the "Instructions" portion of the application(s) for supporting document requirements.