The AGCO is responsible for the following activities:
Regulating Ontario's Alcohol and Gaming Sectors
- Licensing and regulating Ontario's establishments that sell or serve beverage alcohol, as well as administering the Special Occasion Permit program, delivered through designated Liquor Control Board of Ontario stores.
- Licensing and regulating liquor delivery services; Ontario beverage alcohol manufacturers, their agents, and agents of foreign manufacturers; and ferment on premise facilities.
- Authorizing manufacturer's retail stores, which includes on-site and off-site winery retail stores, on-site distillery retail stores and brewery retail stores, and Brewers Retail Inc. stores ("The Beer Store").
- Registering suppliers and gaming assistants of charitable gaming events, casinos and slot machine facilities.
- Registering suppliers and retailers of Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) lottery products.
- Administering the regulatory framework governing the issuance of charity lottery licences (e.g., bingo, raffle, and break open ticket events).
- Licensing games of chance at fairs and exhibitions.
- Approving rules of play or change to rules of play for games of chance conducted and managed by the OLG.
- Excluding persons from accessing gaming premises in the province of Ontario pursuant to the Gaming Control Act, 1992 and its regulations.
Inspecting and Monitoring
- Inspecting and monitoring licensed establishments to ensure compliance with the Liquor Licence Act and regulations.
- Inspecting and monitoring casinos and slot machine facilities, charitable gaming events/facilities and retail locations where OLG lottery products are sold for compliance with the the Gaming Control Act, 1992, its regulations, licence requirements and standards and requirements established by the Registrar of Alcohol and Gaming.
- Approving and monitoring internal control systems, surveillance and security systems, and other operational systems for casinos and slot machine facilities and retail locations where OLG products are sold for compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Testing, approving and monitoring slot machines and gaming and lottery management systems.
- Conducting arbitration of lottery disputes.